Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Internet Security 2010 Virus

I did battle with the Internet Security 2010 Virus yesterday and I think I finally beat this malicious piece of programing. This Trojan poses as a malware removal tool but in fact infects your computer with malware. I was finally able to kill it by using SuperAntispyware with Windows booted up in safe mode. (It's always best to run removal software in safe mode, this way the virus has less places to hide when you run the removal program.) After removal I couldn't connect to the internet with Firefox. I could connect to the internet using a game that connects to game servers however my web browsers, Avast, and Malwarebytes,couldn't connect. Which means that the virus had turned something off. When I ran Internet Explorer it gave me an option to diagnose the problem. I didn't expect much but decided to give it a try. Well Internet Explorer came back and told me a setting needed to be changed and asked me if it wanted it to fix the problem. I told it yes and everything was fixed.

I have come to the conclusion that writers of spyware, malware, virus, and trojan horse programs should be put to death in a most painful way .......... or at least ban them from using a computer for 80 years. This would cause their brains to explode and take care of the painful death part. A Win Win situation!

This particular piece of software is really scary especially when it looks like it is a real program. It eventually gets to a place where it wants you to enter credit card information to steal your money. Here are pictures of what the InternetSecurity 2010 Virus will look like if it infests your computer.

I hope this helps, and may the force be with you.

Dan

2 comments:

  1. Hey Firk, this is Nude, just letting you know that the browser problem which that virus leaves behind is simply a checkboxing of a LAN proxy setting. In IE its pretty straightforward to just go into Internet Options and uncheck it.

    Also, I found that Malwarebytes ALSO gives this virus the chop, but you have to be quick. The virus convinces your PC that all executables are corrupt. So when you boot (as you say, preferably in safe mode), be ready to doubleclick whatever software you are using to kill it, AS SOON AS YOUR DESKTOP APPEARS.

    Trying this, I was able to launch Malwarbytes BEFORE the virus had time to kick in and try to tell me Malwarbytes was corrupt and unusable.

    I got hit with this virus three times and this solved it each time.

    Since then, even little old MSE has been able to prevent it sneaking in again.

    Cheers!

    Kev (Nude For Satan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kev!

    This was a nasty one for sure. Thanks for for the enlightenment. I really want and application that gives the Malware writer a wedgie. It tracks down the writer of the Malware and then sends a thug out to their house to hang the writer by his underwear on the nearest telephone pole. A sign will be attached to the culprit stating that he is a poopy head and shouldn't be allowed to play with computers.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete