Friday, April 15, 2011

Microsoft’s Free stuff!!

You may be surprised to know that Microsoft gives away some very nice and polished software for free! The funny thing is that Microsoft really doesn’t advertise that this stuff is available. If you check out Gizmos a great site that lists and reviews free software you will find a fantastic list of Microsoft Freeware by clicking on Best Freeware List, then selecting The Best Microsoft Downloads.

The first program you will see is Microsoft Security Essential. I have loaded it on 4 of the computers in my house with the 5th computer running the free version of Norton that comes with my internet provider Qwest. Microsoft Security Essentials works with Windows in a very unobtrusive way. I basically don’t have to think about it and it does a pretty good job.

Another thing to look at is the programs that you can get with Windows Live I’m writing this article with Windows Live Writer that allows me to write articles to post directly to my Blog. It’s a lot nicer to write with than the built in editor provided by Blogger, Blogger’s editor has come a long way but I simply prefer Windows Live Writer. For me having a great writing platform enhances my writing experience and makes it more fun. It has the feel of working with a simplified Word geared to Blogs. It’s kind of funny how Microsoft has come up applications that make it easier to work with Google’s online services. Hey I’ll take the best of both worlds.

I also started using Microsoft Live Mail. It allows me to manage multiple Google email accounts in one Outlook like place. I have my Google Blog, a Google website, and Google AdSense accounts all with different email addresses. Microsoft Live Mail puts them all in one place with an interface I like to use. It also has Contacts, Calendar, Feeds, and Newsgroups. The only issue I had was that I couldn’t add my Yahoo email account because the free version of Yahoo doesn’t allow the use of POP. It’s not Microsoft’s fault, and my goal is to eventually be able to dump my Yahoo account. I keep it around for now because I have had the account so long that there are people who would still email me on it and I don’t want to loose touch with them. I got hooked on having everything in one place when I received an iPod Touch for Christmas. I love that little device and it’s always at hand beeping at me when an email comes in from any of my accounts (Including my Yahoo email account). Microsoft Live Mail gives me one easy place to answer most of my incoming mail.

Here is a fun piece of Microsoft software you may want to explore, it’s called Small Basic. I have children that might be interested in learning how to write their own software and this may be the ticket for getting them started. I have written a few programs over the years but I really don’t have it in my DNA to be a programmer. I think my boys at least are interested in exploring programming. They both like to build Legos and seem to have a future in engineering the next generation of weapons of mass destruction (anyone with an 11 year old boy knows what I’m talking about) My oldest son has started getting interested in robots and I know it will lead to more and more sophistication.

Check out the free stuff that Microsoft is giving away you might be pleasantly surprised.

Dan. 

1 comment:

  1. Microsoft is a unbelievable name. It's provide free software. it's feature is really amazing, reliable. I use Microsoft Live mail, I have many a/c. but I handle very easily.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete