Sunday, September 18, 2011

Creating a WiFi Hotspot with your Ubuntu 11.10 Laptop

I have a Gateway MX6961 that I use as a WIFi hotspot, so my iPod touch can access the Internet when I only have a wired network available. It's really very simple to set up, here are the instructions:

  1. Click on the connection icon in the upper right of your screen. It's probably your left most icon.
  2. Click on Create New Wireless Network.
  3. Give the Network a name.
  4. Select a Wireless security
    1. Note: Internal Laptop cards have different specifications and you may have to test different settings until it works. The built in card on the Gateway I have hooked up fine with my iPod using Wep 40.
  5. Enter a security password.
  6. Click on create.

On my iPod Touch, I then went into settings and found the new Network. I selected it, I entered the password, and I was connected.

If your new Network doesn't work at first then change the Wireless security type until it does. You can also just delete the new network and try again.

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm going to have to try this out!

    -EDP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to use with With Samsung Galaxy S II and with 1 eth0 connected to Internet and 1 wlan0 as ideal. I am able to create new wireless connection but my mobile dose not found it. where as it works on Windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried changing the security type in Create New Wireless network in Ubuntu? WEP-40/128-bit key worked for my iPod Touch I do believe. For whatever reason I wasn't able to connect with the other two types of security. And it did of course connect with no security. I hope that helps.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abhay, did you leave it as “ad-hoc” (the default) or select “infrastructure”?

    If you left it as “ad-hoc”, that’s the reason why. Choose “infrastructure”. Most current Android phones cannot yet connect to "ad-hoc".

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes it works, actually, i'm using an extra wireless adapter, so i can share the internet, but, i'm also connected wireless, so, the internal adapter works sharing, and the external (USB), connects me to the web. It's amazing, cause at home the signal it's very poor for my iphone, but with the laptop i can share it. cool!

    ReplyDelete