Monday, October 19, 2009

Meet people from all over the world...then kill them. And it's free!

No I'm not advocating mass murder, what I'm talking about is the long running free multiplayer space combat game Continuum. What is Continuum you ask? Did you ever play asteroids? Well this is Asteroids on steroids. You pick a ship, move around on a large map, join a team, and go hunting for other players. You can also play hockey, or capture the flag games. There are different user supported servers called zones running differnt types of games. My personal favorite is the Chaos zone.

Continuum is fast paced, with a lot of strategy and skill involved. Many of the players have been playing for 10 years or more. You heard me right, this game was originally a commercial game called Subspace. I remember playing it in Beta in 1996 on my 100MHZ P1 with a modem. Virgin Interactive Entertainment abandoned the game shortly after going commercial, but fans of the game didn't let that stop them. A few fans of the game rebuilt the client, cleaned up the servers, and established a user-driven game now known as Continuum.


Now don't let the age of the game fool you, Continuum is chuck full of game play. It has an interactive chat system (which can be turned off) so you can chat with your buddy from Australia or give that punk an ear full of smack. Yes there is a lot of smack in the zones so turn off the chat if the kids are playing it.

Zones will also change their maps periodically; the Chaos zone has a great Halloween map up right now. I have been doing my best to claim the Jack O lantern with my friend Prince of Pain at my side and Snafu sneaking about. If you see Firkroy flying around that is me and say hi! I'll be working on giving some punks a lesson they will not soon forget.

May the Force be with you.
Dan

3 comments:

  1. Give it a try guy's and Gal's. It is a really fun game and cost to you is zero. I have played for over 12 years and have alot of great fun with people like Firkroy.Come look for the two of us in Sub Space.
    PRINCE OF PAIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also echo the above. Nothing, and I seriously repeat NOTHING, gives me more internet enjoyment than Subspace/Continuum.

    Come help me take out Firkroy's bothersome linebombing tunnelrat shark.

    Nude For Satan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kev,

    You chased me down you internet sleuth :) I need to post some fresh articles. I started a new job a few months ago and have been kind of busy. Of course I always have some down time to play Subspace :D

    ReplyDelete